Prussian samples and more basing…

Well, finally made a start on the Prussians for Grande Armee. As I’d done for the Byzantines I went for a black undercoat but this seemed to leave them too dark as the blue and the flesh didn’t cover too well.

I also think I was having a bad night as the detail wasn’t too accurate. Overall I was OK with them so I added the flag. Then I started having second thoughts and decided to try a different approach. I took a strip and gave them a white undercoat and a wash with a Games Workshop black wash. And rather than paint the flesh direct on the black I did the area with Red Leather first.

This resulted in a lighter figure and I think the flesh works better and adds contrast. The downside of the white undercoat is still having to cover everywhere so I think I’m going to stick with the black but do the flesh the new way. As long as I’m adding the highlight to the colours then that compensates for the black undercoat.

And finally, the 1mm 60x60mm MDF arrived from and I added this to the 2 bases I’ve done already.

Given that the MDF they use normally is a bit thinner than that I use from East Riding Miniatures (comparison to the right) it’s not such a big difference and when painted will give a good solid base.

Next plan is to paint the rest of the 10th Regiment and then some Landwehr to finish off the first brigade. All good stuff and made easier by the excellent Baccus figures.

I do have plans to pick up some of the Adler command packs so I can do Blucher etc. and I may see how the mounted officers fit in as Regiment commanders on the base.

Anyway, progress. Slow, but progress…

Oh…and I’ve started adding some static pages below the header. First up will be my Napoleonic reference library, to be added to as and when. Then I’ll do the AWI and Byzantine stuff. The big find was which makes setting up a nice list very easy! I wish I’d had that when I was doing my Masters!

Please follow and like us:

6mm Basing Test

Although the 2010 Painting Master Plan has yet to really start I thought I’d do some basing tests to see how things might look. I had Phil at Firezone Studios paint up a pack of Baccus 1806 French for me. Partly to give my Prussians something to shoot at and partly just to, well, spend cash and get figures! Anyway, I was pretty vague on details but had said I wanted 4 stands each of four strips. As I hadn’t specified they were for Lasalle he did four command strips, one for each stand. They came out fine though and when based up for Lasalle look like this:

Phil has painted the remaining eight stands for me but they seem to have gone walkies in the post – something I don’t seem to be having much luck with at the moment! But what I wanted to do with the Lasalle armies was be able to use them for Grande Armee as well. To that end I had the guys at War Bases do me some 60x60mm pieces with the middle cut out in to two 40x20mm bases. Slotting the bases in then gives me this:

The one thing I had forgotten was that the bases would just drop out the bottom! So, I am awaiting some 60×60 bases in 1mm MDF which will give a sturdy base. The extra thickness should also allow me to attach labels along the back edge of the base.

Given that I’m mostly going to be doing Prussians and that they will be in mostly linear formations I think it will look fine. For my 1815 Prussians I need to have them on the full 60x60s with columns, lines and skirmishes so those I’ll be doing for Grande Armee only.

The buildings in the background are from Timecast and painted by Mark at Conflict In Colour. This was the second delivery as the first lot went missing in the post and Mark was good enough to replace them and now awaits the return of the originals via the Royal Mail undelivered post system. It’s a nice selection of buildings, very nicely done. Some may be a bit late for my Napoleonic armies but they look good anyway…

So, there we are. The plan for basing my Lasalle troops. All I need to do now is paint some!


Please follow and like us: