Well, finally made a start on the Prussians for Grande Armee. As I’d done for the Byzantines I went for a black undercoat but this seemed to leave them too dark as the blue and the flesh didn’t cover too well.
I also think I was having a bad night as the detail wasn’t too accurate. Overall I was OK with them so I added the flag. Then I started having second thoughts and decided to try a different approach. I took a strip and gave them a white undercoat and a wash with a Games Workshop black wash. And rather than paint the flesh direct on the black I did the area with Red Leather first.
This resulted in a lighter figure and I think the flesh works better and adds contrast. The downside of the white undercoat is still having to cover everywhere so I think I’m going to stick with the black but do the flesh the new way. As long as I’m adding the highlight to the colours then that compensates for the black undercoat.
And finally, the 1mm 60x60mm MDF arrived from warbases.co.uk and I added this to the 2 bases I’ve done already.
Given that the MDF they use normally is a bit thinner than that I use from East Riding Miniatures (comparison to the right) it’s not such a big difference and when painted will give a good solid base.
Next plan is to paint the rest of the 10th Regiment and then some Landwehr to finish off the first brigade. All good stuff and made easier by the excellent Baccus figures.
I do have plans to pick up some of the Adler command packs so I can do Blucher etc. and I may see how the mounted officers fit in as Regiment commanders on the base.
Anyway, progress. Slow, but progress…
Oh…and I’ve started adding some static pages below the header. First up will be my Napoleonic reference library, to be added to as and when. Then I’ll do the AWI and Byzantine stuff. The big find was http://www.bibme.org which makes setting up a nice list very easy! I wish I’d had that when I was doing my Masters!