Many, and I MEAN many years ago I used to play wargames with my cousin Stuart and mate Mark using all our old Airfix figures. Needless to say there was a lot of Roman vs. Ancient Briton action! Somehow I had acquired a set of rules called Legion by Al Margolis published by Fantasy Games Unlimited. I’ve no recollection of where I got them but it is likely via my local club at the time, Shrewsbury Wargames Society. I liked these rules. Percentage based and relatively simple (compared to some rules at the time (c.1980 if not earlier…) . I recalled that in melees you resolved all the individual unit combats and then rolled again for the result for the battle line. I got rid of my copy years ago and every now and then I had a hankering to play them again.
Occasionally a copy would crop up on eBay or Amazon. Usually in the States and not cheap! Then a couple of weeks ago in a Facebook sale group there was a copy for sale. $8. Bargain! Got them shipped over ($14!). Thanks to Jason Pipes for the deal.I intend to try them out soon with my 15mm figures. I’ll likely just drop the distances from inches to centimetres and double rank my infantry. The slightly shorter distances should work on a smaller table.
In other news…after a slight lull due to work and life I’m back painting the 10mm stuff. Have a load of Sudan stuff half done and have started the next Prussian 1806 battalion. How much time I’ll have over the next few weeks is moot as the kids break up tomorrow…
Please follow and like us:
Despite numerous efforts to keep my work desk tidy it never seems to stay that way long. Part of the problem was having paints everywhere. The rack I have for my Vallejo, although neat and solid, is not the most accessible and I have way more bottles than holes! So having looked at various options I settled on the vertical racks that Warbases do. I wanted something that took up little table space and these seemed the best option.
So they arrived today and I managed to get away from work early to ‘install’ them. There are only 6 pieces and construction took no more than 15 minutes for both. I applied a little PVA along the joints to keep everything in place:Then came the ‘sorting of the paints’… Each rack holds 45 Vallejo bottles and I filled them rather too quickly…I decided to use the old rack to hold duplicate bottles (of which there were 24!), inks and washes. And the stepped rack at the back to hold the big bottles of acrylics I use for basing and the Vallejo Primers.And the top of the rack held the ridiculous number of variants of green I seem to have! I’d been storing the surplus Vallejo (and others) in the desk drawer. This wasn’t ideal as it was hard to see the colours so I’m now using this for all the odds and ends of paints from different manufacturers:This freed up some space at the left to put all the big bottles that were previously getting in the way on the right hand side. So now I yet again have a nice tidy table!On the left you can see the current WIP stuff of which more in a day or so when some bases arrive!
All in all I’m quite pleased with the racks. At £7 each they are cheap and quick to make and take up little space. I’m tempted to get another one though. I want to organise the paints into my preferred and regular triads and label up the racks…
Please follow and like us: