Saxon drugs and rock’n’roll!

After last year’s Ayton game where I painted assorted Norman types for Lion Rampant I acquired a partial box of Gripping Beast Saxon Thegns and some Dark Age Warriors with a view to producing some opposition. Despite having finally painted the half dozen (from bits) figures a few weeks ago that was all I’d done towards this plan! So having acquired SAGA v2 at Partizan I decide to stick together 16 of the Saxon Thegns. To be honest, they were a bit fiddly to do. More from the case of matching shields and arms so they didn’t look like contortionists! But eventually they all went together and the result are:

As with the figures earlier in the month I kept the general look ‘dirty’ by using assorted light to mid browns and applying a GW Agrax Earthshade wash with no further highlighting. I did a few with a nice red, blue or green to reflect higher status. I’m saving the fancy edgings for the Hearthguard types. And then the shields are what add the colour to the unit. All hand painted. I know the transfers look nice and realistic but I’m not sure they fit my painting style.

So in theory I’ll be doing some of the Dark Age Warriors next which I’ll keep very basic and then some huscarls and I should be SAGA ready! But in the meantime I have discovered the Song of Blade and Heroes system which seems rather neat and good for small skirmishes. So I’m going to give them a whirl! Oh, and taking advantage of the flexibility of plastics I’ve got  a trio of ‘characters’ on the workbench as well. And some buildings coming from Caliver Books!

So, yet again, despite not being a fan of plastics I’m rather enjoying them!

Please follow and like us:

All sorts!

After Partizan and my birthday and a week in Cornwall I’ve not really had time to post much or even complete stuff. But now, being back home, I’ve finished a couple of things off and can post re some recent acquisitions!

First up was the purchase of a Tiny Wargames grass mat. I’d seen similar to these at Partizan and at Ayton and having seen some vids of them in action on Facebook I decided a 6×4 would be ideal for the play area I have in the attic. I went for the basic cloth option. I wanted to be able to drape it over hills.

The creases need a little while to drop out but overall I’m pleased with it.

And on the table you can see some 15mm AWI I’ve just rebased. These were bought a few years ago from LOSH (over on the GdeB forum) and made up 27 stands of militia (mostly Polly Oliver but some Essex) and a few Hessian command figures. As I’m planning an AWI game next year these needed basing so I can see what I have.

Soon, I’ll dig the rest of the collection out and have a proper parade!

What next? Some scenery… courtesy of a post on a Facebook boardgame group I grabbed a pile of old GW trees, hedges and a hill (and some other bits). A good addition to the starting 28mm scenery.

Having made a pile of hedges for my 6mm games a few weeks ago I used up the last of the Javis clumps mixed with some Woodland Scenics stuff to do another 12 stands (11 and 2 short lengths).

And finally some painting… After last year’s Lion Rampant Ayton game I decided I needed some javelin armed bidower types. So, using the last few bits from the Conquest Normans and Archers I cobbled six together and primed them. And they have sat there for a year! Until this week when I finally painted the buggers!

Kept the colours quite ‘muddy’ and dull but quite pleased with them. I now have some Gripping Beast Saxons to glue together. I kind of need Anglo-Danes to face the Normans I have but want Anglo-Saxons to give me an excuse to get Vikings! We shall see…

A

Please follow and like us: