Category Archives: french

More 1806 French

My ongoing, albeit slow moving, 6mm Napoleonic Project, has me currently doing 1815 Prussians for Grande Armee to be followed by 1806 Prussians for Lasalle with Grande Armee as an option. As there is little chance of me finding and 1806 French opponent locally, and as I’m unlikely to have the time to do them myself, I’ve been making a start on 1806 French by using several painting services. I’ll be doing a full review of each over the next week or so (including two I’ve used for 15mm stuff, but in the meantime, here are a few pictures of the latest batch. These are from Rhys at Raise the Colours. I picked them up at Partizan and finally based them this week. He now has some Baccus cavalry to be going on with.

Anyway, here are the troops in their Grande Armee and Lasalle forms:

I rather like these and I think Rhys’s style will fit in nicely with my own. Anyway, more on that in the future…

Please follow and like us:

A Little Progress: Part 2 – Basing

And so it continues…

After completing the paint rack I decided to finally base up some of the 1806 6mm French I’d had painted. I’ve had a few done by Phil over at Firezone which have been based up before and had another eight strips from him to do. I’m still waiting in another full unit from him – hopefully soon. I also had some from Michael at Angel Barracks and they were the main ones I wanted to get done as they had arrived last week. There is a unit due next week from Raise the Colours and then I shall do a proper little review of all three but in the mean time I thought I’d write up my basing in a bit more detail. Photos have suffered a little in the early shots from the camera playing up but it gives the general idea…

As mentioned before, my 1806 chaps are mainly for use with Lasalle but the basing system should allow them to be used for Grande Armee as well. I use 60x60mm bases with 2 40x20mm sections cut out the middle supplied by warbases.co.uk with a 1mm thick bases piece to fill the gap. Figures are based on the 40x20mm with 4 strips to a base for main stands and 4 figures for skirmish.

First step is to coat with PVA and then cover liberally with a mix of fine and medium model railway ballast.

This is then painted with a Hobby Craft Burn Umber.

I  then dry brush with a lighter brown.

And then finish with an Antique White.

The flock is a mix of Baccus short flock, some Games Workshop Autumn Grass and occasional Silfor tufts and model railway ‘foliage’.

These are the Angel Barrack troops in their Lasalle incarnation.

And in their Grande Armee form.

And a few of the combined units for Lasalle.

It was nice to make some progress. I still have a couple of 1815 Prussian bases close to completion and if I get the 15mm Punic armies I’m chasing then I may detour to finish a couple of units for them.

Anyway, nice to have finally achieved something after a bit of a break…

Please follow and like us:

6mm Basing Test

Although the 2010 Painting Master Plan has yet to really start I thought I’d do some basing tests to see how things might look. I had Phil at Firezone Studios paint up a pack of Baccus 1806 French for me. Partly to give my Prussians something to shoot at and partly just to, well, spend cash and get figures! Anyway, I was pretty vague on details but had said I wanted 4 stands each of four strips. As I hadn’t specified they were for Lasalle he did four command strips, one for each stand. They came out fine though and when based up for Lasalle look like this:


Phil has painted the remaining eight stands for me but they seem to have gone walkies in the post – something I don’t seem to be having much luck with at the moment! But what I wanted to do with the Lasalle armies was be able to use them for Grande Armee as well. To that end I had the guys at War Bases do me some 60x60mm pieces with the middle cut out in to two 40x20mm bases. Slotting the bases in then gives me this:

The one thing I had forgotten was that the bases would just drop out the bottom! So, I am awaiting some 60×60 bases in 1mm MDF which will give a sturdy base. The extra thickness should also allow me to attach labels along the back edge of the base.

Given that I’m mostly going to be doing Prussians and that they will be in mostly linear formations I think it will look fine. For my 1815 Prussians I need to have them on the full 60x60s with columns, lines and skirmishes so those I’ll be doing for Grande Armee only.

The buildings in the background are from Timecast and painted by Mark at Conflict In Colour. This was the second delivery as the first lot went missing in the post and Mark was good enough to replace them and now awaits the return of the originals via the Royal Mail undelivered post system. It’s a nice selection of buildings, very nicely done. Some may be a bit late for my Napoleonic armies but they look good anyway…

So, there we are. The plan for basing my Lasalle troops. All I need to do now is paint some!

Andy

Please follow and like us: