Category Archives: workbench

Sorting the paints…

Despite numerous efforts to keep my work desk tidy it never seems to stay that way long. Part of the problem was having paints everywhere. The rack I have for my Vallejo, although neat and solid, is not the most accessible and I have way more bottles than holes! So having looked at various options I settled on the vertical racks that Warbases do. I wanted something that took up little table space and these seemed the best option.

So they arrived today and I managed to get away from work early to ‘install’ them. There are only 6 pieces and construction took no more than 15 minutes for both. I applied a little PVA along the joints to keep everything in place:Then came the ‘sorting of the paints’… Each rack holds 45 Vallejo bottles and I filled them rather too quickly…I decided to use the old rack to hold duplicate bottles (of which there were 24!), inks and washes. And the stepped rack at the back to hold the big bottles of acrylics I use for basing and the Vallejo Primers.And the top of the rack held the ridiculous number of variants of green I seem to have! I’d been storing the surplus Vallejo (and others) in the desk drawer. This wasn’t ideal as it was hard to see the colours so I’m now using this for all the odds and ends of paints from different manufacturers:This freed up some space at the left to put all the big bottles that were previously getting in the way on the right hand side. So now I yet again have a nice tidy table!On the left you can see the current WIP stuff of which more in a day or so when some bases arrive!

All in all I’m quite pleased with the racks. At £7 each they are cheap and quick to make and take up little space. I’m tempted to get another one though. I want to organise the paints into my preferred and regular triads and label up the racks…



Please follow and like us:

Limbering up on the workbench!

Work continues towards next week’s ACW game. I’m pretty well on top of things but as ever I keep finding other things to do. First off I realised I needed some more limbers for the Union forces. Luckily I had three Minifigs (3rd rather then 2nd Gen) sat waiting so have just finished off those. I might need to do a couple of CSA ones but possibly not essential. 

I’m also still working in scenery. First off some resin walls. These are from Small Terrain Miniature Scenery. A few test pieces. They look a little shiny as I’d just slapped on a coat of varnish. Still need to add some static grass.Also have another batch of the MDF fences ready to go onto bases.

I may be short a few command stands so prepped a big batch of them. Don’t think I’ll need them all which is good!And although I have a couple of buildings to drop down I had one more (Timecast I think) in the box so have made a start on that. Basic coats and washes on. Just need to drybrush and detail. Undecided on whether to base them and pretty up the bases. May be too much work…Going to spend tomorrow night listing the last few things to do. I have THursday and FRiday off so hopefully can get anything done by then…


Please follow and like us:

Battalion Guns!

In preparation for Ayton I needed to paint up five battalion guns to add to my ‘smaller’ battalions. I already have one gun with the Savage Swans but needed another and two each for the Braunschweig and Alterfritzenburg battalions. My existing gun was based on 50x50mm to match the infantry bases which was fine when the gun was more of an attached gun rather than integral to the unit.

20160406_173827 20160406_173833 20160406_173856 20160406_173911 20160406_173921

Iain Burt (Essex Box), the Picasso of basing, suggested that a narrower base, matching the four figure command stand (33mm x 50mm) would make the integral gun more a part of the unit. Less space in the line. Seems to work.

20160406_183213 20160406_183234

Having recently seen pics of John Ray’s battalion guns I wish I had done them with crew pushing them along as it looks very good (assuming I can find the right figures!) and I will probably do this with the next lot.

And the Workbench currently has four command figures in progress and 14 kuirassier. Not long ’til Ayon now! 🙂


Please follow and like us:

On the workbench…

The painting mojo seems to be slowly returning. Another hour spent tonight (and last night). Some decent progress on gunners for the battalion guns for Ayton:


With the guns prep’d to go as well and obviously some 15mm Old Glory pikemen I just had to make a start on!


And I’ve finally broken out the Rosemary and Co. brushes I bought last year. And they seem to be working quite well!

Onwards and upwards!

Please follow and like us:

Workbench Feb 2016

I haven’t done a workbench post for a while. Mainly because the old mojo has been decidedly AWOL with assorted work and life things sapping the will. However, with a couple of hours free today and the big game in Ayton at the start of May looming large it seemed sensible to…. base some modern microarmour, rebase some 15mm ACW and start some figures for Ayton…2017!! 🙂

The British vehicles have been waiting to be finished off for a while. Still have the infantry to finish but at least it clears a little space:


Late last year I was lucky enough to secure some 15mm ACW from Iain Burt (aka Essex Boy) at a bargain price. They were on unfinished bases (4-5 per base) so I wanted to base them to match what I have for Fire & Fury and Longstreet. Still some work to do but it gives me two large ten stand units and a couple of spare command stands (some of the ones I have are a little ropey!)IMAG5086 IMAG5085

And finally I finished undercoating the first lot of Conquest Normans and made a start on painting them. These are for Lion Rampant for Ayton 2017! I think I chose these are the paintjob will be fairly simple and will enable me to get my eye back in.IMAG5084

So, a little progress. Really must keep the momentum going…

Hopefully, more soon!


Please follow and like us: