At long last I think I may be done! The last bits I wanted to get done for my 15mm ACW re-basing are done!
First up: low ammo markers
The final units to be done were Zouaves. I had two existing small units. Seven bases with turbans and five with kepi. As mentioned previously I was undecided on whether to strip all the figures and repaint as I had three more in turban and nearly 30 in kepi to add to them. The issue was matching the colours. If I could do that then no stripping required. None of the Vallejo/GW/CdA paints I have matched the existing blue and I didn’t have much luck mixing a colour. Then last weekend I went to the newly opened local Hobbycraft. They stock the Humbrol range so I grabbed what looked like a decent blue (104 Oxford Blue) and it is a match!! Then it twigged. The figures were painted years ago and likely then Humbrol Acrylic was the main choice. I then dug out my VERY old Humbrol red. Match. And my Humbrol Flesh. Match. Although the latter may be too far gone so needs replacing.
I ended up needing to paint four additional figures as I snapped the drummer removing him from the base. And there were four of the figures that had dark blue pants and gold piping that needed changing to red to match. And the white bits on the figures had yellowed with the old varnish so I needed to match that as well! But basically I think you’ll be hard pressed to spot the new figures in the unit.
So that is it. The Union army has gone from this:
And this weekend is the LAW gathering in Framlingham which I am most looking forward to!