After last year’s Ayton game where I painted assorted Norman types for Lion Rampant I acquired a partial box of Gripping Beast Saxon Thegns and some Dark Age Warriors with a view to producing some opposition. Despite having finally painted the half dozen (from bits) figures a few weeks ago that was all I’d done towards this plan! So having acquired SAGA v2 at Partizan I decide to stick together 16 of the Saxon Thegns. To be honest, they were a bit fiddly to do. More from the case of matching shields and arms so they didn’t look like contortionists! But eventually they all went together and the result are:
As with the figures earlier in the month I kept the general look ‘dirty’ by using assorted light to mid browns and applying a GW Agrax Earthshade wash with no further highlighting. I did a few with a nice red, blue or green to reflect higher status. I’m saving the fancy edgings for the Hearthguard types. And then the shields are what add the colour to the unit. All hand painted. I know the transfers look nice and realistic but I’m not sure they fit my painting style.
So in theory I’ll be doing some of the Dark Age Warriors next which I’ll keep very basic and then some huscarls and I should be SAGA ready! But in the meantime I have discovered the Song of Blade and Heroes system which seems rather neat and good for small skirmishes. So I’m going to give them a whirl! Oh, and taking advantage of the flexibility of plastics I’ve got a trio of ‘characters’ on the workbench as well. And some buildings coming from Caliver Books!
So, yet again, despite not being a fan of plastics I’m rather enjoying them!